Monday 22 September 2014

Pang Designs - Beginnings

To start this new academic year and end this year's amazing summer, I will be starting to really push to setting up a personal design studio. Completing my degree and exhibiting at London's New Designer's 2014 made me realise the quality of work out there to become a designer. Meeting and seeing all these designers showed me I was not ready. However, I did not think it was a level that was far outside of my reach.

From 2nd to the 5th of July was hectic and an amazingly fun experience for me and my colleagues. It took us roughly five hours on the Tuesday to set up our show. Taking it down took two. As with all team related tasks, puzzled faces and discussions were plenty. Including myself! I had never applied vinyl before, never mind sheets that were over a square metre in size. Thankfully, Stephen was out in-house expert and co-ordinated the operation.  To keep this post a lot shorter and to the point. I'd thought I would show some really cool designs at the show. These were really inspirational and I would hopefully glean some design ideas from in the near future.








Kai Venus's upcycled knives from sawblades. I loved the rural styling and simplicity, but he was charging £25 for a knife which was actually rather cumbersome. The steel was soft and required to be honed and sharpened regularly. However, I really enjoy the idea of upcycling and this is clearly a viable way of reusing scrap steel. With some heat treatment and source for higher quality steels, I think this can be a really fun and enjoyable range of knives.


Really comfortable stool that sat on large rubber grommets to give a firm, yet comfortable spring. There was about 1.5 inches of travel. The stool top was welded onto a very large industrial screw which threaded into large nuts in the stool base. This means the stool is height adjustable. Ergonomics taken into consideration very well!


This chair was a very elegant and interesting design. Made using beech wood and steel joints it was very strong and allowed a canvas seat to be hung from the frame. Very modern and unique design. The designer was called Will Phillips.


This V-Speaker as it's called is a speaker cabinet that acts also as table top. There are control knobs on top, as well as recessed area for placing your music devices, keys or whatever you want. I really love the idea that this product is also a piece of furniture. Because it is very free from the world of audiophiles, where sound is is scrutinized in every way possible. This product is really a great for students, or open plan living, as well as for people with very little space and listen to music everyday.

Finally, the last few photos are of York St. John's show, featuring Rachel Smith's reading lounger, James Birkbeck's space saving stack, Rowan Spear's multifunction unit, Kerry Foulger's wooden toys, and Josh Parker's 3D printed plastics and ceramics.  Mine is there of course; the flat-pack coffee table.  Hope everyone who came enjoyed it!






No comments: